The game development industry is so competitive and making a spot in the business is not a piece of cake. Especially when there are competitors like Sony, Microsoft, and Google. But still there some good companies made their way in the gaming industry.
Now, if we talk about the revenue growth of this gaming industry, then it is growing like crazy. In 2018, the gaming industry made more than 40 billion dollars and now in 2020, many experts are predicting that it is gonna make more than 130 billion dollars. So you can see how crazy and rapidly this industry is growing.
Top 7 Game Development Companies in the World
In this article, we are going to see some of the best game development companies in 2020. So without any further due, let’s get started! Below is a list of those companies, we are gonna discuss in the article.
- Activision Blizzard
- Rockstar Games
So on the top of our list is a company which is well known for the game PUBG Mobile and its name is “Tencent”. According to some data, Tencent is the world’s largest company in 2020. If we talk about the revenue part then only in 2020 they made more than $9.1 billion. The main reason why Tencent generates massive revenue every year because they have invested their money in many popular game development companies and they hold the most stake of those companies. Let me tell you about the game companies, which Tencent invested in. They have a 40% share in EG ( Epic Games ), 5% share in Ubisoft, 11.5% share in Krafton Game Union, 5% share in Activision Blizzard.
Now, apart from just companies, they have also invested their money in many popular games like League of Legends, Fortnite, COD, etc. They are also a partnership owner of Epic Games and they own the whole Riot Games studio who is the creator of LOL ( League of Legends ).
Additional Information of Tencent:-
- Games they made – Fortnite, PUBG, Battlestate Games, Ring of Elysium
- How many Employees – 62,885 in 2019
- When started – November 11, 1998
- Revenue in 2020 – $55 Billion
- Who started – Ma Huateng, Chen Yidan, Zhang Zhidong
- Headquarters – Shenzhen, China
Next on our list is a company which very old and a big leader in the gaming industry. And its name is “Sony”. Not only gaming sony has grown its feet in many sectors of technology. Their PS ( Playstation ) consoles are the world’s most popular consoles of all time. Now talking about the revenue they made in 2019 is more than $20 billion.
They produce many exclusive PlayStation games through the studios it owns. Some of them are a naughty dog who is the Last of Us game, Insomniac Games is another studio that they own this studio produced the Sunset Overdrive and Marvel’s spider-man. every year Sony games doing their best to improve their consoles and game quality so that they can wipe out all the competitors from the market.
Additional Information of Sony:-
- Games they made – The Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Horizon: Zero Dawn
- How many Employees – 114, 400 in 2019
- When started – May 7, 1946
- Revenue in 2020 – $75 Billion
- Who started – Akio Morita, Masaru Ibuka
- Headquarters – Minato City, Tokyo, Japan
3. EA ( Electronic Arts )
The third company on our list is EA ( Electronic Arts ), this company is one of the most popular and known companies in the gaming industry. One of the most facts about this company is, it was started by an Apple employee named Trip Hawkins. Since the beginning, Trip mainly focused on developing games for the home computer system, which was a growing industry of that time. According to a report, There are more than 300 million players are registered all over the globe with EA. They launch FIFA 20, which has become the most popular game of 2019, and now they are all set to launch FIFA 21 on 6 October 2020.
Additional Information of EA:-
- Games they made – FIFA series, TitanFall, Need For Speed, Madden NFL
- How many Employees – 9,300 in 2018
- When started – May 27, 1982
- Revenue in 2020 – $5.5 Billion
- Who started – Trip Hawkins
- Headquarters – Redwood City, CA
Next is an American multinational tech company Microsoft. Although Mircosoft is well known for its PC and consumer electronics. But they also have grown in the gaming industry by launching Xbox. Microsoft made more than $11 billion with Xbox games in 2019 and they are aiming to get a surge into their 2020 Xbox revenue. One more reason for the popularity of Microsoft in gaming is, it has launched a game known as Minecraft. that has become one of the most playing games in the world.
Now many people have this confusion the Microsoft made “Halo”, but they didn’t. Actually, the Bungie is behind the Halo game and kept it exclusive for Xbox. I know, now you may be thinking then what about COD? well, it was created Activision.
Additional Information of Microsoft:-
- Games they made – Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, Gears 5, State of Decay
- How many Employees – 156,439 in 2020
- When started – April 4, 1975
- Revenue in 2019 – $11.4 Billion
- Who started – Bill Gates, Paul Allen
- Headquarters – Redmond, WA
5. Activision Blizzard
Talking about the fifth game development company on our list so, this company created the revolutionary game COD which is also known as Call Of Duty. Yes, we are talking about Activision Blizzard. So the story of creating Activision Blizzard is pretty good. A French company name Vivendi purchased Blizzard Entertainment and after a few years, The Activision acquired Vivendi. Then the name Activision Blizzard came out.
Now talking about the revenue growth of this company then it has grown from $4.6 billion in 2015 to $6.4 billion in 2019, which is pretty impressive. The Blizzard Entertainment was a guide in the OMSG ( online multiplayer strategy games ) Warcraft.
Additional Information of Microsoft:-
- Games they made – COD series, Crash Bandicoot series, Spyro the dragon series
- How many Employees – 9,200 in 2019
- When started – July 9, 2008
- Revenue in 2019 – $6.4 Billion
- Who started – Bobby Kotick
- Headquarters – Santa Monica, CA
The next is my personal favorite company and not only my, but this company is very popular among the 90’s Kids. The name of the company is Nintendo. The reason we love this company so much because it created my childhood love “Super Mario”. And not only the Mario series, but it also developed many successful video game series like Donkey Kong, Star Fox, and The Legend of Zelda. Nintendo generated more than $11 billion in 2019.
This company is among the oldest companies in the world, it was founded in 1889. It means this is almost 130 years old, which is pretty impressive. Nintendo offers many of its games for free and if I talk about paid games then there are varieties of prices, means the price depends on the game you are purchasing. There is no doubt, because of Nintendo’s, the gaming industry has evolved a lot.
Additional Information of Nintendo:-
- Games they made – Mario series, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokémon Sword and Shield
- How many Employees – 6,200 in 2020
- When started – September 23, 1889
- Revenue in 2019 – $12.12 Billion
- Who started – Fusajiro Yamauchi
- Headquarters – Kyoto, Japan
7. Rockstar Games
So we have reached the company on our list. If you are a fan of PlayStation then you must have heard the name GTA ( Grand Theft Auto ). This game is developed by this company and the company name is “Rockstar Games“. The story behind the creation of Rockstar games company is simple, in 1999 a company name BMG games was acquired by TTI ( Take-Two Interactive ), and that how Rockstar games came in the gaming industry.
According to some data, more than 250 million of their game copies were shipped in 2014. Rockstar Games are popular because of their GTA series, their game GTA is one of those games that has the title of selling more than 100 million game copies in a single year. Because in 2016 they had sold more than 250 million copies of GTA alone.
Additional Information of Nintendo:-
- Games they made – GTA Series, Max Payne, Red dead, Bully
- How many Employees – More Than 2,000 in 2018
- When started – December 1998
- Revenue in 2019 – $2.6 Billion
- Who started – Dan Houser, Sam Houser, Terry Donovan, Gary Foreman, Jamie King
- Headquarters – New York